remote printing

I'm having a little trouble with my lpr and remote printing.
I got kind of disgusted and am willing to consider CUPS instead.

All I'm trying to do is to get remote printing to work.

Two questions:

ONE:
under lpr I kept running into a problem where the 'lpc {remote IP} status' listed printer status as 'waiting for ... on {remote IP}'. IIRC it was the printer queue. Now, I was able to get the {remote IP} to do everything as a local device. Including print postscript files. My question is -- what does this mean or what should I check for?

TWO:
Postscript files. I do not have a Postscript compatable printer. I also attempted to purchase a print-server appliance (Netgear ME110) to work as a print server. The problem I had with that device is that if I send a file to a printer type 'raw' the postscript is munged. My question is this: When sending postscript in 'raw' form, does the client or the server do the converstion between the ps format to whatever the printer understands? Is it possible that I had the client misconfigured in this set-up?