Re: Which filesystem for a notebook?

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 01:31:28PM +0200, Mark Janssen wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 13:22, Michal Frackowiak wrote:
> > Mark Janssen wrote:
> >
> > >On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 13:02, Michal Frackowiak wrote:
> > >If you want more battery life, stick with ext2, since the journaling
> > >filesystems keep the harddisk spinning all the time.
> > >
> > No way to stop it? No standby?
>
> Sure you can go to suspend... but when not suspended the disk will spin
> up every 5-15 seconds to write journal data.
>
> Using ext2 and noflushd you can hold this back. this doesn't work for
> ext3 and reiser.
I'm very surprised. I'm using XFS on an ibook(I choose xfs cause at the time I installed it, reiser had endianness problems on powerpc) and I have no problem like this. Therefor I have no regret because of this choice.
The only thing i did was to run hdparm -S 6 /dev/hda as soon as I have no more AC power.

> > >Installing reiser is harder, since you need to install somewhere, get a
> > >reiser capable kernel, reboot with that, make reiser filesystems and
> > >move your data from the 'somewhere' location to the real filesystems.
> > >
> > I think one of boot disk of woody is reiserfs-ready. So I could just
> > start with a plain hdd.

there are debian-xfs boot disk too. And it is not hard to set up. Just some problems with yaboot boot-loader, but I managed to install it on a pc and a powerpc laptop

just one last thing. as far as now xfs is not included in 2.4.X and proably will not. So when a new kernel is out with nice new features, you has to wait during a week for the patches beeing ready.

jeff