Re: Which filesystem for a notebook?

El vie, 12-04-2002 a las 12:51, Bret Comstock Waldow escribió:
> I use ext3.  I was warned about reiserfs.
>
> I chose ext3 because I wanted some safety from journaling, and I am
> still booting between GNU/Linux and MS operating systems.  ext3 is ext2,
> and PartitionMagic can handle resizing an ext2 partition.
>
> There are GNU tools that resize an existing partition - can any of them
> handle reiserfs, ext2(3), XFS?

parted can resize ext2 quite fine.  Don't forget that Ted Tso
developed the resize ext2 program for Partition Magic.  His
condition was putted GPL in one or two years.

If you want resize an ext3 partition, just convert it to ext2,
resize it, and reconvert it to ext3 (tunefs(8)).

$ apt-cache show parted
[...]
 Parted currently supports DOS, Mac, Sun, BSD, GPT and PC98
 disklabels/partition tables, as well as a 'loop' (raw disk)
 type which allows use on RAID/LVM. Filesystems supported are
 ext2, ext3, FAT (FAT16 and FAT32) and linux-swap. Parted can
 also detect HFS (Mac OS), JFS, NTFS, ReiserFS, UFS and XFS
 filesystems, but cannot create/remove/resize/check these
 filesystems yet.
[...]

--
German Poo Caaman~o