mount cd rom

I have been trying to configure my cd rom but the dang thing don't work for me.
I thought this was a useful web page to follow, lots of nice colourful pictures.
http://people.debian.org/~psg/ddg/node104.html

But!

When I try to enter my cd rom device file:

/dev/cdrom or /dev/hdd

it still doesnt work?

I get alot of E: failed errors and I know not what I am doing, please help.

I have tried apt-cdrom add but it doesnt work, it fails to mount the cdrom.

I did fix this once before but for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it.

Nick