Re: Debian PC Requirements

Mark Barnes wrote:
I don't think that much swap in a single partition is being fully
used.  As I understand it, linux can use a maximum of (I think) 128 mb
per swap partition.  If you want more than 128 mb swap, you'll need to
create additional swap partitions.  This doesn't really get at your
performance problems, but no more than 128 mb out of that huge swap
partition can be used.

In older kernels on i386 boxes at most 128MB could be used. A swap partition larger than that was just wasting space.

More recent kernels (>=2.1.117) however allow upto 2GB per partition on i386.

'man mkswap' for the reasons why...

--

Jason Chambers (jason.chambers@ntlworld.com)
Leicester, England