Re: Debian PC Requirements

seitvel@fas.harvard.edu wrote:
> Derek, there is swap... I run "swapon -s" and it gave me exactly the
> picture you mentioned, except that swap is hda6, and the size is
> 979924 - which I think is close to 1 GB... However, the problem is
> that "used" part is zero - why's that? Can I do something to make
> linux use it? Computer is freshly restarted, so may be it is only
> that there is nothing yet in memory to dump it to swap?
>
> Filename     Type            Size    Used    Priority
> /dev/hda6    partition       979924    0        -1

I'd have to say that's the case. You've got tons of swap space, and it's turned on, so my guess is obviously wrong :-)

> However, once Gnome or particularly KDE is started, then it just
> turns into hell - even Abiword starts somehow two-three times
> slower than MSWord starts in Windows... Evolution starts in
> probably 10 seconds... may be it is because those desktop
> environments and programs are slow themselves and it does not have
> to do anything with Debian.. I am a user primarily, so I noticed

I wouldn't know, since I use neither of them, but I have noted Linux word-processing programs tend to be annoyingly slow to start. KWord sucks too :-( But otherwise, I have always found performance to be improved over any of the Windows variants.
--
derek