Notebook doesn't wake up from standby

If I put it in standby with 'apm -S' then I can't wake up in any way, nor I
can't reach it from my local network by telnet or ssh. Did I miss something
when I compiled the kernel 2.4.18 I am using or is there something wrong
somewhere else? Btw, I know that my bios is fully acpi compliant, even if I
don't know what does this exactly means, so  I installed acpid, but I don't
exactly understand what are its relations with apm.
Bye.
   Rick