Re: PCMCIA network problems at startup

Joshua Penix wrote:

> I'm a bit confused about the interaction between
> /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/pcmcia/network.opts.  My
> understanding is that the information in /etc/network/interfaces takes
> precedence, and eliminates the need to set anything in network.opts.

Josh - Network.opts has precedence, but if it is not configured (e.g.,
if it has not been touched), then ifup is executed and
/etc/network/interfaces is used.  Look at the end of the network.opts
file.

The /etc/pcmcia/network script and the network.opts file is the old way
of doing things.  They have been maintained for backwards compatibility,
and there are still some complicated things that cannot be done with the
network/interfaces file.

> Or should I be setting DHCP="y" in network.opts?  If I do so, should I
> remove the eth0 line from interfaces?  Any other suggestions?  I'm a
> bit new to all of this, so perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

You can try setting DHCP to "y".  It might clear up your problem.  I
don't think that you will need remove the eth0 line from interfaces, but
you can try it if nothing else seems to work.

- Brian