Re: Fun and excitement with Dell Latitude C600

martin f krafft wrote:
also sprach David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> [2002.04.02.1939 +0200]:

Last night, I was mucking around a bit.  I upgraded the BIOS to
version A20, and tried building kernel 2.4.18 with the ACPI patch from
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/acpi/, along with ALSA 0.9 and
pcmcia-cs modules.  With the magic of GRUB, I can n-tuple boot.  So:

(1) Even the Sourceforge ACPI doesn't find the laptop battery.  This
   is a problem, but not the end of the world; I can trivially go
   back to the non-ACPI 2.4.17 kernel.

Michael Dell and Bill Gates are sleeping with each other. dell's
computers these days seem to contain components and standards which
are close enough to e.g. ACPI to be called ACPI, but they only really
work with windoze. surprised?

No. Just that any OS can load its own DSDT. On my Dell Inspiron 2500 Windows seems to, and the one in the BIOS doesn't (quite) work

--
derek