Fun and excitement with Dell Latitude C600

I have a Dell Latitude C600 which I'm running sid on.  (It dual-boots
Windows 2000; this would be regrettable if I didn't occasionally need
it for work or to play games on.)  It's been running BIOS A14 since I
got it, and has been fairly happily running kernel 2.4.17.

Last night, I was mucking around a bit.  I upgraded the BIOS to
version A20, and tried building kernel 2.4.18 with the ACPI patch from
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/acpi/, along with ALSA 0.9 and
pcmcia-cs modules.  With the magic of GRUB, I can n-tuple boot.  So:

(1) Even the Sourceforge ACPI doesn't find the laptop battery.  This
    is a problem, but not the end of the world; I can trivially go
    back to the non-ACPI 2.4.17 kernel.

(2) The machine spontaneously reboots in Linux after it's been up for
    a minute or two.  Booting into Windows and then rebooting seems to
    help; booting the ACPI kernel seems to hurt.

(3) Sometimes pcmcia-cs can't come up with an interrupt to give to
    PCMCIA cards (like the on-board MiniPCI 802.11).  This seems to be
    somewhat connected with changing the "Docking IRQ" setting in the
    BIOS from "Optimized" to "IRQ 11"; setting it back to "Optimized"
    and rebooting a couple of times (not just once) seems to help.

(4) I'd like to be able to use both the normal serial port and the IR
    port (the latter mostly to connect to an iPAQ also running
    Linux).  The obvious thing to do is configure the DB9 serial to be
    COM1 and the IR to be COM2 in the BIOS, but then there seems to be
    an interrupt conflict resulting in the machine freezing if both
    sound and (wired) serial are used at the same time.  Is there any
    way to get this working properly?

(5) I'm kind of shooting in the dark with the whole IR thing anyways,
    and really mostly just want to be able to log in to the iPAQ over
    it (maybe using minicom or kermit).  Any good resources for
    setting this up?

Thanks,

	-- Abra Mitchell