Re: Periodic distro question

Tom Allison wrote:
Derek Broughton wrote:

Tom Allison wrote:

I guess this is really just a vent/rant but...

I am a current user of Debian.
I picked it from Slackware because I was in favor of a faster install process than slackwares. Of course I had fewer questions in Slackware because I was always RTMing. Debian makes it easier to not do that.

Hmmm. I can't see that. Do you mean just because we're all so nice and helpful? Because it's hard to use Debian without _some_ source of documentation.

Actually it's the reverse!
I can install so much more and so much faster than I can possibly read!

OK, I can see that.  I have to admit I tend to install first, read later :-)

I think it's about Documentation and getting a clear message of architecture (or philosophical) changes to the Debian set-up.
Documention of a more Systems Administration approach.  Things like:
Where do I put my pcmcia ethernet card setting? /etc/network/interfaces, or /etc/pcmcia/network.opts.
AND
"We are changing to a new abstraction layer of /etc/defaults so that we can better ..."

I think much of what you're asking here is answered in the debian-policy package. This is, though, a good example of your point about being able to install far faster than you can read dox. I've never read the policy manual :-)

example: I had one PC that would swear the only editor it has was something called 'ae' and not 'vi'. Make 'crontab -e' a little foreign to me. Someone, somewhere, mentioned that there is some defaults controlling application for setting things like the default editor and that fixed me up.

/etc/alternatives?

I can't say I've ever seen an application for it.  Would be nice to know.
--
derek