Re: Periodic distro question

Tom Allison wrote:
I guess this is really just a vent/rant but...

I am a current user of Debian.
I picked it from Slackware because I was in favor of a faster install process than slackwares. Of course I had fewer questions in Slackware because I was always RTMing. Debian makes it easier to not do that.

Hmmm. I can't see that. Do you mean just because we're all so nice and helpful? Because it's hard to use Debian without _some_ source of documentation.

At this point I'm actually thinking of going back to SlackWare or possibly looking into RedHat because of the extensive bloat that Debian has shown and the latency of the distributions.

Bloat? I'm stunned. Now, I used KDE2, and that introduces a huge bloat factor (though still not on the scale of certain proprietary software) but Debian itself is still pretty sparse. After all, it's a matter of picking what you need from a huge list.

One thing that I'm really frustrated in right now is that the Debian Stable is whoefully behind everything else on the internet. Technically, I cannot run the XFree 3.3.6 that is provided.

Is true. But that's considered a feature. Testing is "stable enough" (for me), but if you go that close to the cutting edge, sometimes you're going to bleed. Stable avoids that.

But migration to Testing has resulted in a cascade of updated packages, many of whom overwrite my existing configurations. This really pisses

That's part of the Testing process. This should not be happening. Debian upgrades should always give you the option to keep or replace conf files.

me off to no end. Combine this with the continued abstraction levels of Debian and it is now getting harder to use Debian and understand other distributions as well. This niche specialization may have won arguements with Debian, but it's at a high price with respect to interchangeable configurations. I may be able to fix something on Debian, but not on any other distro.

Is this a common digression between the distros?

I'm not sure I understand you but I think you're disappointed that Debian isn't Redhat, or SuSE, or Slackware. Which one do you think we should slavishly imitate? :-) I can only say that imo it _must_ be a common digression between distros. We all try to do things consistently where possible, but surely it's more important to do things _right_ than to be consistent with Redhat if Redhat does it wrong (which happens :-))
otoh, maybe I just don't understand what you mean by abstraction...
--
derek