Dell Inspiron 8100 - misc issues, acpi

Happy to hear the good news on the maestro3 issue...
seems like i'll have to compile another kernel, and incorporate that fix
into my alsa here... ;)

BTW: I upgraded to the A10 BIOS too.
Good news:
Volume keys work like the other extra keys, so you don't need i8kbuttons
any more. You can use them easily with "hotkeys" or by xmodmap in the
window managers like any other key.
(hotkeys features a nice onscreen volume bar ;)
my hotkeys keyboard definition:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<CONFIG model="Dell Inspirion 8100 Notebook">

  <Play         keycode="129"/>
  <Stop         keycode="130"/>
  <PrevTrack    keycode="131"/>
  <NextTrack    keycode="132"/>

  <!-- you need BIOS Version A10 for the volume keys to work! -->

  <VolUp        keycode="176"/>
  <VolDown      keycode="174"/>
  <Mute         keycode="160"/>

</CONFIG>

Second good news: seems like acpi supports more features (maybe they
were added in the new acpi version though) - and the temperature as
reported by acpi and the one reported by i8kmon finally are in sync, so
the fan control via i8kmon works better. (and acpi doesn't think the
system is overheated and does emergency-poweroff...)

Bad news: The fan always goes double speed here, then slows down to
single speed after a second - a bit noisier.

Well, i don't care if APM doesn't work any more actually...

ACPI (not the one in the kernel, but the patch from acpi.sf.net)
works great.
cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/*
----
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/alarm
alarm:                   3000 mWh
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/info
present:                 yes
design capacity:         57420 mWh
last full capacity:      57420 mWh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          14800 mV
design capacity warning: 3000 mWh
design capacity low:     1000 mWh
capacity granularity 1:  200 mWh
capacity granularity 2:  200 mWh
model number:            LIP8084DLP
serial number:           55117
battery type:            LION
OEM info:                Sony Corp.
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          unknown
present rate:            unknown    <--- works when battery powered!!
remaining capacity:      57420 mWh
present voltage:         16714 mV
-----
So one could actually calculate the speed the battery is discharing and
how long the battery will hopefully last on a more reliable basis.
DRAWBACK: querying the "info" part blocks the system for a few msecs.
So don't do this every second ;) (some battery appled used to do... but
it can't deal with the name change /1/state -> /BAT1/state anyway)

I can get lid, power button, ac-disconnect and connect, battery addition
and removal-events via acpid and put the system into sleep mode.

I havn't yet tried that software-suspend-to-disk patch though.

my next goal will be an init (i'm currently playing around with
simpleinit ;) that will for example shut down services i don't need
always when i disconnect the power for example.
Simpleinit is already good at brining my gdm up very fast, while
starting the apache and mysql databases later.
Seems like the system faster boots up, although it doesn't (unless
simpleinit actually does start services in parallel, for which it is
designed, but i think this isn't implemented...)

Greetings,
Erich