Re: Thinkpad 770X / woody - sound not working

Craig Morrison <craig.morrison@noos.fr> wrote:
> I'm a recent convert to debian and since installing woody I've been
unable
> to make the sound work. I've trawled the internet, HOWTOs etc but so
far to
> no avail. I am therefore asking you for help.
[...]
> My configuration
> ----------------
> ThinkPad 770X (Pentium II, 320 Mb RAM), dual boot with XP.
> The sound card is the Crystal CS4232.

/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.4.18/Documentation/sound/CS4232.gz has some
information.

> Initial attempts to make the sound work
> ---------------------------------------
> I've had sound working before, in my RedHat (6.2 - 7.2) days. It was
as
> simple as adding the following lines to /etc/modules.conf:
>
> alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
> options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0

You can try settings with sndconfig.

> Other information
> -----------------
[...]
> In XP, the audio is being assigned IRQ 11, dma 3, dma 0. The modem is
> assigned IRQ 3. The infrared port is assigned IRQ 5.
>
> 2. setpnp
>
> Interestingly enough the setpnp changes have persisted across reboots
which
> surprises me as I didn't do a 'setpnp -b'. Is there anyway to "undo"
such
> changes?

Did you add the Red Hat lines that you had mentioned earlier to
/etc/modules.conf? They looked quite similar to the setpnp changes to
me.

> 3. Here's the result of 'lspnp -v'. Seems odd that some of the audio
related
> settings seem disabled (devices 11 & 12). Is this problem?

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com