Re: Problems with Dell 510C and modprobe

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 22:08, Derek Broughton wrote:
> It doesn't work at all (except that 'halt' actually completely shuts down
> the machine, rather than leaving it at the "Power Off" prompt) on the
> Inspiron 2500, and I understood it not to work on 4xxx series machines.  It
> probably works, at least partly, on 8100s.

Oh, ok. Guess I was lucky to buy an 8000 because I've been quite
satisfied with it and even suspend works most of the time. Apparently
there is some basis for the claim that Dell is actually cheap sh*t.

> > At the moment I can't get to the Dell support site to check what the
> > latest BIOS version for Latitude 510C is, but in general it's well worth
> > upgrading to the latest BIOS on Dell machines. Some people would say the
> > Dell BIOS is very, er, buggy...
>
> I'd never say such a thing.  But I think it daily :-) as I try to figure out
> how to make ACPI work at least as well as it does on the same machine in
> Windows.

Problem with ACPI is that there doesn't seem to be very good support for
it in Linux. I wouldn't know - ever since I read a posting by Alan Cox
saying that ACPI is fundementally sick, I've just steered clear of it.
Lately, though, I've read other postings saying ACPI is one of the areas
where Linux is improving.

Funny, whenever something doesn't work in Linux, it's declared
fundamentally sick - and some time later no one seems to notice, but the
feature just creeps in there after all...

Should probably get some sleep now.

Cheers,
fabbe