Re: newbie soundcard problem

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 11:29:32AM -0500, nick phillips wrote:
> hello debian laptop list!
>
> i'm a complete linux newbie who's recently installed debian 2.2.17 on a
> toshiba tecra 8000. everything seems to have worked ok except for the
> soundcard. i use wmaker, and using the cdplayer or other sound utilities i
> get no sound whatsoever. when i run gnome-session, i get a string of error
> messages saying '\dev\dsp: no such device." when i run 'car \dev\sndstat' i
> show no drivers loaded.
>
> so, all this leads me to believe i need to load a driver for the soundcard,
> which is a yamaha opl-sa3. however, i'm not sure how i do that! i tried
> running dselect, but i don't see any sound driver packages, and i'm kind of
> at a loss as to how to configure the sound driver. if someone could help me
> out, or point me towards a website that would help, i would really
> appreciate it!

    Install the sndconfig package, which will prompt you for the
information it needs to properly load the driver module (opl3sa2) and
set things up for you.  You'll need to look in the BIOS settings to
find some of that info (hold down ESC at the initial "Toshiba" boot
screen).

    There are two pages describing Linux on the Tecra 8000 in the
Toshiba section of linux-laptop.net -- you may want to give them a
look.

    Good luck with Linux!

--
Joseph Fannin
jhf@rivenstone.net

"That's all I have to say about that." -- Forrest Gump.