newbie soundcard problem

hello debian laptop list!

i'm a complete linux newbie who's recently installed debian 2.2.17 on a
toshiba tecra 8000. everything seems to have worked ok except for the
soundcard. i use wmaker, and using the cdplayer or other sound utilities i
get no sound whatsoever. when i run gnome-session, i get a string of error
messages saying '\dev\dsp: no such device." when i run 'car \dev\sndstat' i
show no drivers loaded.

so, all this leads me to believe i need to load a driver for the soundcard,
which is a yamaha opl-sa3. however, i'm not sure how i do that! i tried
running dselect, but i don't see any sound driver packages, and i'm kind of
at a loss as to how to configure the sound driver. if someone could help me
out, or point me towards a website that would help, i would really
appreciate it!

best,
nick phillips

--