Re: newbie soundcard problem

    "nick" == nick phillips <np@f-matic.net> writes:

    nick> so, all this leads me to believe i need to load a driver for
    nick> the soundcard, which is a yamaha opl-sa3. however, i'm not
    nick> sure how i do that! i tried running dselect, but i don't see
    nick> any sound driver packages, and i'm kind of at a loss as to
    nick> how to configure the sound driver. if someone could help me
    nick> out, or point me towards a website that would help, i would
    nick> really appreciate it!

I don't run 2.2.x kernels anymore, and I don't have the sources
handy. But on my 2.4.17 kernel I see an opl3sa2 module. Look in
/lib/modules/2.2.19/sound for a file like opl3sa2.o. The SA2 driver
claims to be for the OPL3-SA3 also.

You should be able to do a 'modprobe opl3sa2' to get it to run. Make
sure that the user who wants to use sound is in the 'audio' group (see
'man adduser' for "add an existing user to an existing group" or edit
/etc/group).

I don't own any of your hardware (heck, I don't even run the same
kernel version) so your mileage will vary ;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal