Reconfiguring Network after Upgrade.

Hey Everyone,

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but..

I recently installed potato r3 on my laptop (Asus A1200, with SIS 630
chipset etc). During the installation, dbootstrap correctly configured
internet access through a sis900 LAN card.  I was then able to use the card
to upgrade to woody.  When I rebooted after this, I could no longer get
online.  I am on a windows network connected to a cable modem (dynamic IP
reassigned every 12 hours or so) via a sygate home network server
(http://www.sygate.com/swat/products/gate_ov.htm).

I have tried:

ifup and ifdown, which work as expected, but do not bring me online.
ifconfig eth0 gives the following output:

eth0
Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:18:1A:81:E3
inet addr:192.168.0.2  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:11396 (11.1 KiB)  TX bytes:3438 (3.3 KiB)
Interrupt:5 Base address:0xb000

doing /etc/init.d/networking stop or start again does not help

/etc/network/inferfaces shows

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

I also tried pump which again didn't work, it seems to stop responding.

I am guessing that the problem is a simple one, but I am newish to Linux so
I could be wrong.  It seems to me that I just can't get an ip in any of the
ways I have tried.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I am
still using the original 2.2.17 kernel, unchanged from the potato
installation.

As a side note, a few days ago there was a small thread on alsa for sis
7018.  Did anyone get any further with this, as I would be interested to
know how to get my sound to work.

Again, any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Will

Please Reply To:
w.reece@ucl.ac.uk