Re: Windows XP + Linux

I wanted to leave my Notebooks mbr alone (has a recovery program in it), so I installed grub in the boot block of my linux partition. I then made that the active partition and boot with a standard MBR. To chainload Windows XP I omit the makeactive step, and things work fine.

Charlie

Stefan Bellon wrote:

Stefan Bellon wrote:

HubertChan wrote:

[snip]

Try it out for yourself.  When you get into GRUB, go to the GRUB
command line, and issue the following commands:

root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

That works without problems, indeed.

[snip]

one) if c:\boot.ini has only the WinXP entry. And you don't have to
rely on the c:\bootlinx.bin on the WinXP partition. I'll try that
later on.
:-)

But now I know the problem again why I didn't do it this way: My
notebook BIOS doesn't boot with GRUB in the MBR.

Greetings,

Stefan.