Re: Windows XP + Linux

On 7 Mar 2002, Hubert Chan wrote:

> FWIW, I'm using GRUB to boot WinXP, and it's definitely working.  GRUB
> doesn't need to read NTFS to boot WinXP.  It just needs to be able to
> read the first block of the partition and do "chainloading" as they call
> it (load the first block into memory, and start executing it).
>
> Try it out for yourself.  When you get into GRUB, go to the GRUB command
> line, and issue the following commands:
>
> root (hd0,0)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
> boot
>
> (of course, replace (hd0,0) with whatever partition WinXP is installed
> on.  The makeactive command may not be required.)
>
> The great thing about going straight to GRUB is that it allows me to
> select among any number of different Linux kernels, WinXP, Memtest86,
> etc. all in one shot.

Is there an easy way to do this same thing in LILO? Or are there any
additional benefits to installing GRUB? As my system stands right now, I
let XP handle booting, but this is a pain in my rear end as my C: drive is
NTFS so any time I change my LILO config I have to boot into Windows to
copy my LILO boot file to C:. Anything to simplify this would be
wonderful.

-Alex