Re: backlight off w/o suspend

Apologies for any protocol breach; I started this question on
debian-laptop, but thought there might be a few more kind people to help
on the higher-traffic list.

Original question:
> I'd like to turn off the backlight when I'm away for the day, but leave
> unsuspended so I can connect back from work via the cable modem.
>
> There was a similar question last summer and the suggestion to switch to
> CRT; something like that would be fine with me, except that the fn-f8 that
> would appear to accomplish this on my Dell I7K doesn't do anything.

A couple of people suggested having the bios do the job, but my bios power
settings seem to be ignored in linux.  This raises a question i've had for
a long time - does APM even pay attention to the bios settings, or does it
do its own thing?  I was under the impression the latter.

More original question:  thanks to two people who suggested noflushd,
which appears to have taken care of most of this (it wakes up occasionally
even when not using the machine, but not very often)
> Also, the Battery-Operated mini-HOWTO seems dated and not always
> applicable to debian (e.g. no update call in /etc/inittab), so any
> suggestions for better advice on reducing syncing and flushing intervals
> w/o a full suspend would also be appreciated.

Thank you,
-r

manually input useful .sig per 'suggestion' thread:
i'm running mostly potato with some woody