Re: backlight off w/o suspend

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Remy Indebetouw wrote:

> I'd like to turn off the backlight when I'm away for the day, but leave
> unsuspended so I can connect back from work via the cable modem.
>
> There was a similar question last summer and the suggestion to switch to
> CRT; something like that would be fine with me, except that the fn-f8 that
> would appear to accomplish this on my Dell I7K doesn't do anything.

Does fn-d work for the 7k? This turns off the display on my I4k.

Also, I tell the bios to turn the display off after 30 minutes with both
AC and battery, and it works fine with me. Its a bit annoying that I can't
seem to convince X4.1.x to turn the backlight off, it just want's to
blank the screen instead.

I can't help you with the thing not switching displays. It Works For
Me(tm).

> Also, the Battery-Operated mini-HOWTO seems dated and not always
> applicable to debian (e.g. no update call in /etc/inittab), so any
> suggestions for better advice on reducing syncing and flushing intervals
> w/o a full suspend would also be appreciated.

apt-get install noflushd

--
TimC