debian 3 upgrade lost PATH

Hello team,
I sent the following to Brian Mays,

Hi Brian,
for some reason I have lost the path in my upgrade.  I thought it
would be a safe upgrade to go from stable to testing so I did and
now I have no X, no pcmcia, etcetra.  Dselect said that PATH
wasn't showing usr/local /usr/bin/ usr/sbin etcetra. to be able to
maintain this computers operability I used mc to find lilo and ran it
to make sure it configured.  Now I am writing to you on the same
machine with win98. Would you please tell me where to write it.
So I can go back to my debian 3.

His answer
> Mike - The two usual places where the path is set and changed
are the
> following files:
>
>     /etc/login.defs
>     /etc/profile

So I changed profile as login.defs ok and no different.  Dselect is
looking for files to tell it what to do and can't find them. MC still
works.  I ran ldconfig from mc and it made no difference I have
written to Brian and am asking for your help while I wait for his
reply.  This is the message I sent to Brian in reply:

Date sent:      	Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:58:58 +1030

Thanks Brian,
I added usr/local/bin and the rest to profile.  They were already
present in login.defs and it unfortunately has made no difference.
Yesterday I downloaded 200 meg of files for the upgrade and it
appeared dselect installed everything.  However  looking today
dselect sees the installed versions are the old ones. But I watched
them all get upgraded yesterday.  X cannot find what it needs
dselect cannot find what it needs install info etcetra.  I want to
maintain this upgrade somehow but now have no idea how.
cheers,
Mike

cheers,
Mike