Re: 2.4.17 kernel & pcmcia problem

> > > or laptops.  Examples of these special cases can be found in
> > > /usr/share/doc/pcmcia-cs/config.opts.gz.
>
> To which Heather <star@betelgeuse.starshine.org> commented:
>
> > Is it me, or does "only a few cases will need hand hacking" sound like
> > it *does not satisfy* "folks with any kernel-image-n.n.nn or even
> > handbuilt kernels shouldn't fail" ?
>
> They won't fail.  The "special cases" are folks with hardware that does
> not like the settings used by the default cardmgr configuration.  Let's
> face it: some hardware is difficult to handle; some hardware is just
> plain crappy.
>
> > Can we split these changed-cases off into an extra support file so it
> > can be sought by kernel version, or something?  Whatta mess.
>
> This is not dependent on kernel version.  It depends on the hardware
> being used.  These tweaks cannot be easily handled by automatic means.
> They require experimentation on the part of the user.  Fortunately,
> these cases are rare.
>
> - Brian

I don't think orinoco cards can be classed as either rare or crappy - but
their module has definitely changed names, and *that* was dependent on the
kernel rev.

... not solely though, I think.  If the external pcmcia-cs modules and the
kernel-internal modules (for new kernels) are also named differently, then
auto-includes on kernel rev along wouldn't necessarily work either.  Hmmmm...

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...