Re: sound on VAIO FX401

În data de  1-12-2001, la 18h 59'38", Ionel Mugurel Ciobica scria despre "sound on VAIO FX401":
> Hi all,
>
> I have a VAIO FX401. The lspci command give me:
>
> debian:~# lspci
> [...]
> 00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
> [...]

I did not activate yet the sound card. I have tried few solutions, but
none worked. I comiled many kernels with many sound drivers, but none
are working. As I said the lspci give me: "00:07.5 Multimedia audio
controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)".

I put back the xp from the Sony image CD's and I check the proprieties of
the sound card. It said:
VIA AC'97 Audio Controler (WDM)
IO: 1000-10FF, 1C54-1c57, 1C50-1C53,
IRQ: 09
PCI bus 0, device 7, function 5

 From the list of the kernel sound drivers the closest one is VIA82CXXX,
but it is not working. Some one installed RedHat on the same VAIO FX401
and the sound was working without any change. Same persone is using now
Suse. The sound was not properly installed, he just needed to run
modprobe with the VIA82CXXX driver as argument and it was OK.

I don't want to install other linux distributions just to make my laptop
better, I want to stick to Debian.

Please, some suggestions... anything?

Last time I tried to activate the sound with an append line in the
lilo.conf, but the xp did not specified the dma and dma2 values.

Thank you for any help.

Ionel