Re: Synaptics touchpad?

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:48:54AM -0500, Jesse Rhodes wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude LS with a synaptics touchpad that SiSoft Sandra
> informs me is attached to some sort of internal ps/2 port. But if i run it
> in linux with the ps/2 drivers, it just wanders all over the desktop. Help?

It took a fair amount of tinkering, but I was able to get the
synaptics touchapd on my HP Pavillion working beautifully in X and
console. The touchpad on the Pavillion has a middle button which I use
as a middle mouse button rather. I'm running sid with a 2.4.17 kernel.

Here are the relevent sections from my conf files:

---- /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ----

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"              "MouseSystems"
EndSection

---- /etc/gpm.conf/ ----
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=msc
type=synaptics_ps2
append="-3"
sample_rate=

---- /etc/gpm-syn.conf ----
[use_wmode] Y
[corner_taps_enabled] Y
[upper_left_action] 3
[lower_left_action] 2

The only place that gpm-syn.conf is documented is in README.synaptics.
Note that README.synaptics is missing from the sid binary debs, but it
is in the source package. I have filed a bug report to get it included
because using gpm-syn.conf was the key to getting everything to behave.

HTH

dt
--
Dave Thayer           | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
Denver, Colorado USA  | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all