Re: Problem with TP600 console

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 04:30:25PM -0500, Muthukrishnan, Ramakrishnan wrote:
> Hi,
> I got my TP 600 from ebay yesterday, I wiped off the win95 which was
> there on the
> HDD and tried installing woody on it. I had only the first CD. I could
> easily install the base system with no problems, but there is a problem
> now. While it booted win95, it used to come full screen. The moment I
> boot the woody CD, it goes into a small screen (may be i/3 of the sceen
> real estate)
> at the center of the 13.3" screen. Now everything comes only in that
> area. What could be the problem? The surrounding area of the displayed
> area are all blank. May be X will come properly, I haven't
> tried so far, but I want to have console properly, as I want to read
> mails etc in console. Have anyone encountered this while installing
> debian on the TP600?

The cause of the shrunken screen lies in the "display stretch" setting.
LCD panels do not scale the pixels in the same way as a CRT, so if your
panel's maximum resolution is 800x600, anything smaller than that
doesn't take up the entire screen.
	That is, unless you have display stretch turned on. This is usually
a setting in the BIOS, although there may be a user-space linux program
to control it for your machine. For X, if you run your display at the
maximum allowed by your panel, then you won't have any problem.

Mike Alborn <malborn@odoitau.dyn.dhs.org>
# pgp keyid: C36DC30B
# http://odoitau.dyn.dhs.org

You don't move to Edina, you achieve Edina.
		-- Guindon