Re: Mailer for laptops (was: Re: new photos from my party!)

also sprach Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net> [2002.01.28.1635 +0100]:
> Since this is a laptop-list, I'd be interested in hearing what people
> use to read mail on their laptops. Reading mail on a laptop does require
> that one can manage to read mail off-line as well as connected.
> If you're using IMAP like me, you need to have some sort of caching or
> you'll have to find a network to be able to access your messages. On the
> other hand, a laptop if often not a good place for permanent storage, so
> having local folders doesn't cut it.
> Particularly, I'd like to hear about experiences with off-line operation
> and IMAP in Evolution...

i run postfix bound to localhost on my laptop even, and then use
fetchmail to obtain all my mail via pop3/ssl. this way, all my mail is
always local, and i don't need imap.

however, i would like to add compression to this to minimize the
traffic caused on the servers, so i was thinking of rsync. but the
isync package looks quite cool too. can it speak imaps natively? or
just the tls extension?

the file you need
might be very useful.
but now it is gone.