Re: Mailer for laptops (was: Re: new photos from my party!)

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 05:35:26PM +0200, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:

> Since this is a laptop-list, I'd be interested in hearing what people
> use to read mail on their laptops. Reading mail on a laptop does require
> that one can manage to read mail off-line as well as connected.

Well, ssh to my machine with a leased line and read there mails with mutt
(and sending it ;) - that's my most used way for handling emails.

> If you're using IMAP like me, you need to have some sort of caching or
> you'll have to find a network to be able to access your messages. On the
> other hand, a laptop if often not a good place for permanent storage, so
> having local folders doesn't cut it.
> Particularly, I'd like to hear about experiences with off-line operation
> and IMAP in Evolution...

My choice fell on Evolution as well, with IMAP-SSL to my leased line
machine, but I experienced one problem with that:
Evolution scans that host for folders and runs then into a deadlock when
trying to access to a NFS share (from my laptop, which of course is not
connected anymore.
Ok, quite specific problem at all... ;))

But usually I work in only a few enviroments, like my home, my parents home
or my work place.
Within all these enviroments there exists a DHCP server and a DNS of course.
My local exim on the laptop is configured to use "mail" as a smarthost for
sending mail. Works quite good. :)

--
Ciao...                    // PowerAnimator & Maya Operator
      Ingo               \X/  To boldly design where noone designed before!