Re: What about Toshiba Satellite Pro 4290 ? (was Re: Poweroff on Dell Inspiron 8000)

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 03:26:40PM +0000, Nuno Subtil wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:31:48PM +0200, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:
> > If you turn on CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC, then APM won't work.
> > Oh, and note that APM will be a module, so make sure you load it (use
> > modconf to configure that).

can't verify UP_APIC to have any influence
(Toshiba Satellite 4030, 2.4 kernel).

> I am also having problems with APM, but on a different laptop. On my Toshiba
> Satellite Pro 4290, halt -p works fine, but as of a few months ago (can't
> really remember when), the machine will not suspend when I press the power
> button, it just turns itself off immediately (i.e., not a clean shutdown).

That seems to be a configuration issue of your laptop. You can choose
wether the power switch triggers a suspend or powers off.

> Closing the panel will not work either, I just hear a beep and nothing happens.
> I can suspend it with 'apm --suspend', though, and it works fine.

The beep indicates that your 'top's BIOS signals a suspend.
But you can somewhere force to ignore hardware-generated APM events.
(did not test but dpkg-reconfigure apm might help)
Sounds as if it were something like that. But you can easily test -
put the power button to "suspend mode", if Linux ignores it then
you'reprobably ignoring hardware-generated APM suspend events.

Dietz