What about Toshiba Satellite Pro 4290 ? (was Re: Poweroff on Dell Inspiron 8000)

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:31:48PM +0200, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:

> Yes, it works just fine. You have to have some options in a particular
> way, though. I use the following:
>
> CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=n
> CONFIG_PM=y
> CONFIG_APM=m
> CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND=n
> CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
> CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
> CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=n
> CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=n
>
> If you use menuconfig, these are the corresponding options,
> respectively:
>
> Processor type and features -> Local APIC support on uniprocessors (n)
> General Setup -> Power Management support (y)
> General Setup -> Advanced Power Management BIOS support (m)
> General Setup -> Ignore USER SUSPEND (n)
> General Setup -> Enable PM at boot time (y)
> General Setup -> Make CPU Idle calls when idle (y)
> General Setup -> Enable console blanking using APM (y)
> General Setup -> RTC stores time in GMT (y)
> General Setup -> Allow interrupts during APM BIOS calls (n)
> General Setup -> Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off (n)
>
> If you turn on CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC, then APM won't work.
> Oh, and note that APM will be a module, so make sure you load it (use
> modconf to configure that).

I am also having problems with APM, but on a different laptop. On my Toshiba
Satellite Pro 4290, halt -p works fine, but as of a few months ago (can't
really remember when), the machine will not suspend when I press the power
button, it just turns itself off immediately (i.e., not a clean shutdown).
Closing the panel will not work either, I just hear a beep and nothing happens.
I can suspend it with 'apm --suspend', though, and it works fine.

I am running sid, with kernel 2.4.17 + preemptible kernel patches. I tried the
kernel options you suggested, but nothing changed.

Nuno Subtil
nsubtil@vega.dhis.co.it.pt