Re: Why Linux on a Laptop?

Alec, 2001-Nov-30 04:17 -0500:
> On Friday 30 November 2001 03:50 am, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Alec wrote:
> > > I'm wondering what everyone's motivation is for using Linux on a
> > > laptop instead of Cygwin + Windows.
> >
> > I am curious also: why are you asking? Are you wondering what the major
> > point you missed was, or just idly curious?
>
> Probably the former. My current computing situation is that I have 2 Debian
> boxes: one at work and one at home. (FU to those who called me a troll/MS
> aficiado)  I can work on either and then rsync them through ssh. I don't see
> much of a logical reason for me to get a laptop, but a blind consumer and
> technophile in me wants an expensive toy. I can see how some people NEED a
> laptop with MS Office, etc., but I suspected that those laptop users with
> Linuces on them are mostly just following their technophilic desires.
> That's why I was curious as to what their motivation was. I hope my answer
> satisfies you.
>
> Alec

I too have a work server and a home server running debian.  I
keep them separated though, no common data between them.

I started out using debian to learn more about unix in general a
couple years ago and slowly began using it for more and more
applications.  I went from having it on an old laptop, to running
it in vmware on NT, to dual-booting, to running debian natively
on the laptop and running windows in vmware, to finally having
just a clean install of debian on my laptop.  It's proven to me
to be more stable and faster, and most importantly, more fun to
use than windows.  I can spend hours in debian, tweaking,
reading, checking out new packages, installing and removing
without blowing up the system.  I love that!  I also work on
several different networks and lab environments and linux seems
to help me do that more easily.  I run a lot of testing in
networks for performance and functionality and linux definitely
makes that easier and more reliable.

So, for me, I think I can do pretty much everything I need to do
using Windows, but I find using Debian more fun (among other
things) ...and that's what's important to me.

my 2 cents...jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User