Re: Why Linux on a Laptop?

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Alec wrote:
> On Friday 30 November 2001 03:50 am, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Alec wrote:
>> > I'm wondering what everyone's motivation is for using Linux on a
>> > laptop instead of Cygwin + Windows.
>>
>> I am curious also: why are you asking? Are you wondering what the
>> major point you missed was, or just idly curious?
>
> Probably the former.

Cool. That's what I figured was most likely. :)

[...]

> I don't see much of a logical reason for me to get a laptop, but a
> blind consumer and technophile in me wants an expensive toy. I can see
> how some people NEED a laptop with MS Office, etc., but I suspected
> that those laptop users with Linuces on them are mostly just following
> their technophilic desires. That's why I was curious as to what their
> motivation was. I hope my answer satisfies you.

Yup, it does. For me, having a laptop and running Linux on it makes it
so much easier for me to do my job and such that it's well worth the
additional cost.

For most uses, though, especially where bandwidth is cheap, it's not
really a good deal to get a laptop.

        Daniel

--
I will protect you from your visions