Re: Flashing display [was: Why Linux on a Laptop? Reality Check.]

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:10:18AM -0500, Doc - KD4E wrote:
> <<snip>>
> I sure would love to get Linux working again on my Laptop!
>
> I started with Progeny and am trying to shift to 100% Debian, however
> something -- possibly an artifact of Progeny -- is tripping things up and I
> cannot find it.
>
> I would like to request more assistance in resolving my problem with
> Debian-Linux on my OmniBook 4100.  I currently have Unstable and
> 2.4.14 loaded and cannot get into X.  (FYI: Progeny loaded GRUB
> rather than LILO.)
>
> I am forced to boot Single mode to the command prompt because I
> otherwise am faced with a flashing display.  Should I download 2.5 and
> update Unstable?

You'll probably need to supply more information here, e.g.:
- Which X server you are using (or : trying to use)
- Video chipset
- XF86Config configuration (videocard and monitor bits)
- Any relevant log messages from /var/log/*
- What output is produced if you run X -probeonly?
etc..

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com