Re: X problem

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:10:18AM -0500, Doc - KD4E wrote:

> I started with Progeny and am trying to shift to 100% Debian, however
> something -- possibly an artifact of Progeny -- is tripping things up and I
> cannot find it.
>
> I would like to request more assistance in resolving my problem with
> Debian-Linux on my OmniBook 4100.  I currently have Unstable and
> 2.4.14 loaded and cannot get into X.  (FYI: Progeny loaded GRUB
> rather than LILO.)
>
> I am forced to boot Single mode to the command prompt because I
> otherwise am faced with a flashing display.  Should I download 2.5 and
> update Unstable?

I'd say you've got an XFree86 problem, which is almost certainly unrelated
to your kernel version.  As a start, try apt-get removing kdm/xdm/gdm so
you don't have to keep logging in as single user.  Or you could just
disable them in the default runlevel.

Then I'd work on getting X properly configured.  Did progeny use xfree86
3.3.whatever? If so, the problem is probably the transition to 4.1, which
requires a different config file named XFree86Config-4, which you'll need
to configure.  I think you can get a starting point by running
'dpkg-reconfigure xfree86-server', which should prompt you for some info
about your screen and mouse.  You could also check on the web for other
omnibook users' config files.  That's what I did for my thinkpad.

> Is there a good reason to believe the problem may be resolved if I
> do so, or would it just be a shot in the dark?

I wouldn't install 2.5 if I were you, as this doesn't smell like a kernel
problem at all.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/