Re: Why Linux on a Laptop?

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:59:24AM +0000, Richard Watson wrote:
> On Friday 30 November 2001 10:32, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 03:39:20AM -0500, Alec wrote:
> > > I'm wondering what everyone's motivation is for using Linux on a laptop
> > > instead of Cygwin + Windows.
> >
> > Because Windows doesn't have any of the utilities I need.  I use vi, C,
> > php, postgres, apache, make, bash, X, latex, mpg123 (etc. etc. etc.) for my
> > day to day work and none of them are available on Windows.
>
> Most (if not all) of those are available on windows and have been for some
> time. That's the beauty of open source - if it's not available on your
> platform you can just recompile it.

Sure.  But, those software are ingegral to many linux distributions, while
third party add ons for windows.  I will have to take all the pain compiling
and/or downloading, keeping track of libraries and so on...

> The real question should be "Why use Windows on a Laptop" and generally the
> answer is "Because it was there when I bought it".

But the original posting was rather "Why use Linux on a Laptop"?  I answered
_that_ question from _my_ perspective.

Cheers,

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.16)

There's no such thing as pure pleasure; some anxiety always goes with it.