Re: Why Linux on a Laptop?

On Friday 30 November 2001 10:32, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 03:39:20AM -0500, Alec wrote:
> > I'm wondering what everyone's motivation is for using Linux on a laptop
> > instead of Cygwin + Windows.
>
> Because Windows doesn't have any of the utilities I need.  I use vi, C,
> php, postgres, apache, make, bash, X, latex, mpg123 (etc. etc. etc.) for my
> day to day work and none of them are available on Windows.

What a load of rubbish.

Most (if not all) of those are available on windows and have been for some
time. That's the beauty of open source - if it's not available on your
platform you can just recompile it.

The real reason to use linux on a laptop is purely because it is the best
solution for those of us who want maximum performance, flexibility and
stability from whichever machine we use. Why else?

The real question should be "Why use Windows on a Laptop" and generally the
answer is "Because it was there when I bought it".

--
Richard Watson