Re: Why Linux on a Laptop?

On Fri, 2001-11-30 at 21:39, Alec wrote:

> I'm wondering what everyone's motivation is for using Linux on a laptop
> instead of Cygwin + Windows. The way I see it, a laptop is basically a giant
> PDA. People usually use them for typing down stuff during classes, seminars,
> conferences, in the library, for presenting (powerpoint) material, or for
> keeping all their mail and personal archives in one place, etc. Laptops don't
> get used much as servers or development workstations, are they?

Sure they do:  I travel, I work at home, I work at the office, I work at
clients offices in my home town and in other cities and countries.

In all of these locations I need to be able to continue to work, and a
PDA won't run a webserver, a database server or a development
environment for me to do what I do.

You obviously live a pretty sheltered life if you see a laptop as a PDA
- mine has 0.5G RAM, 30G HD, 1600x1200 LCD screen and a PIII 850...

I haven't owned a desktop PC for the last 7 years and there is no way I
would ever go back to one.  I sit here now in my lounge at home, WLAN
connected to my home network, and thence the internet, running on
batteries.

I have done some of my best work on aeroplanes, in airport lounges and
in the backs of taxis.

WTF would I want Windows for anyway?  Nothing I do requires it!  I don't
want to run Windows, so I have restructured my client base so that I can
do everything I need to do with DFSG software.

But you are right about keeping all of my mail in one place - evolution
does that quite nicely for me.

Regards,
					Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267