Re: Why Linux on a Laptop?

On 30-Nov-2001 Alec wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm wondering what everyone's motivation is for using Linux on a laptop
> instead of Cygwin + Windows. The way I see it, a laptop is basically a giant
> PDA. People usually use them for typing down stuff during classes, seminars,
> conferences, in the library, for presenting (powerpoint) material, or for
> keeping all their mail and personal archives in one place, etc. Laptops don't
> get used much as servers or development workstations, are they?

Boils down to choices and desires of course.  Why are you using cygwin when you
could be using Mac OSX?  Exactly.  I happen to be a linux hacker so I run linux
on my hardware.  Same thing for the Mac heads or the VB people.  We use what
makes us productive.  There are political, social, and many other reasons too
of course.

And as an aside, why have slides shows?  Make the presentation in html, display
it with a browser in kiosk mode, then upload it to the net for later viewing.
One less piece of software to install on a system where space may be a premium
-- I already have a browser and a text editor.  See, yet another productivity
decision.