Re: APM suspend/resume problem on Toshiba Satellite 2800DVD-C302

Mike,
	"apm --suspend" works fine on my (ancient) Satellite110CS with
kernel 2.2.17 and

CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE is not set
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
# CONFIG_TOSHIBA is not set

(Don't ask why CONFIG_TOSHIBA is not set: clearly I wasn't very awake when
I last configured...)

Only I have to exit my X session before suspending, o'wise it'll come up
at another resolution and it would be back to normal only after
exiting/reentering X.

So, I have no clue to why it isn't working on your model, but I just
wanted to point you to http://newsletter.toshiba-tro.de/main/index.html
and http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/ where you may find info
for your model or browse the toshiba-linux mailing list logs)

	matteo

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Mike Alborn wrote:

> Hi,
> 	This might have been posted before, but I couldn't find it in the
> archives...
> 	I'm having trouble getting apm to work on my laptop. apm -s (suspend)
> works (although slightly differently than Windows), and when I resume, the
> following occurs:
>
> 	* the display remains blank
> 	* the network is down
> 	* the system responds to the keyboard
>
> 	By restarting the interface, I can get the network to respond, so I am
> able to ssh in from another machine and take a look. I can manually activate the
> backlight, but the screen is displaying patches of multicoloured vertical bars.
> It seems that I can make a particular device work by resetting it (pcmcia,
> sound, etc.,) but I have not found a way to reset the display.
> 	BTW, I am suspending from the console.
> 	I've played with the different kernel options for the apm module, but
> they seem to be geared toward working around a machine that totally hangs; in
> any case, I have had no luck changing these settings.
>
> ------------
> # uname -r
> 2.4.5-586 (this is the debian kernel-image-2.4.5-586 package)
>
> ------------
> apm options:
> CONFIG_APM=m
> CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
> CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
> CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
> CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
> CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
>
> 	Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem? I can provide more
> information on the system, if needed.
>
> -Mike Alborn
> malborn@odoitau.dyn.dhs.org
> http://odoitau.dyn.dhs.org
>
> --
> Don't shout for help at night.  You might wake your neighbors.
> 		-- Stanislaw J. Lem, "Unkempt Thoughts"

Matteo Semplice
Wadham College
Oxford OX1 3PN