Debian and XSGA+ displays

I gather that some newer laptops (the Toshiba Tecra 8200 and the
latest Sony VAIO) include an "SXGA+" display capable of more than
1024x768.  Anyone have success stories getting these running under
Linux?

More generally, what's the popular opinion of the current best "high
end" laptops?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--