Re: alt-get update via ADSL from command line?

> Thanks for the suggestions.  In netween all of the other seasonal
> craziness I have tried to find something I can use to no avail.
>
> When I had access to X I would just turn Mozilla on and then
> return to the command-line to run apt-get.
>
> Once I load Linux-Debian with the "single" modifier I don't
> find "lynx" anywhere and I cannot run apt-get unless I am
> able to run something that provides minimal recognition of
> the link between my laptop, the pcmcia nic, and the external
> ADSL box.
>
> Is there no command-line app provided with Linux 2.4.14 or
> Debian Unstable?
>
> Thanks!  Doc

Single is probably too simple.  But you can look at the links for
runlevel 2 (debian's default runlevel) and only run the ones that you
need.  When running the script directly you need to say "start". ex:
	/etc/init.d/pcmcia start

However just going into that runlevel and moving the symlink that
starts X would be enough to get you a much better configured command
line than Single mode.  Move it to your home, or (my fave) make a dir
there named 'disabled' - as it starts with a d, no harm - and move the
crummy link in there.  When you have made X happy again it will be easy
to put back... or might get created anew by updating the matching package...

wget is a command line utility that uses HTTP, but if establishing your
connection involves answering a web page script (as I've seen in some
hotels) that won't help.

If it might, then telnetting anybody's port 80 ought to be enough to
give you a window of opportunity to start 'apt-get update' rolling.

Best of Luck

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...