Dell Latitude Xpi Troubles

Hello. First of all, let me say that I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I?m desperate. That is the reason why, even though this question is not Debian (but Linux) related, I?m writing this list (I have Debian and Red Hat on my HD, and used this list before with excellent results).

I'm running Red Hat 6.1 (Cartman) on my Dell Latitude XPi Laptop and have encountered two problems: 1.- This model of Dell Latitude uses the NeoMagic Chip, NM2070, witch works with X, but splits the screen and uses only 3/4 of it, starting from the upper left corner. The keyboard has a font toggle button witch allows me to use the whole screen but with grainy fonts and images. Now, I've read that this is a common problem with this chip, but cant find a suitable answer in the internet. My first question is, how can I make use of the whole screen with good resolution (I already tried making vga=770 at startup with LILO, but this only affected the initial screens not X). 2.- My PCMCIA modem connects just fine, but none of the programs that use the connection work, instead a warning message appears as I try to run Netscape or any other internet using program, ?Host unknown?, and ?Perhaps there is a problem with your name server?, If your site most use a non-root name server you will need to get the $SOCKS_NS environment variable to point to the appropriate name server?.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

      Ing. Rodin Fadul
   I N T E R A C T I V E