Re: Dell latitude C810

Hi alexis.guillard!

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, alexis.guillard@bt.com wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running a debian sid with a 2.4.16 kernel on a Dell latitude C810 and I
> have some problems because I think there are some new devices and everything
> is not supported.

Nothing I can certify.
I set up both. Mine (Inspiron 8100) and one of a friend of mine (C810).
On both machines sid and everything of hardware works fine.

> I can not have the pcmcia working. I have install the pcmcia-cs and
> pcmcia-source packages and when I plug the pc-card, the laptop freeze.
> 02:0f.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4451 PC card Cardbus Controller
> 02:0f.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4451 PC card Cardbus Controller
> Is somebody has this PC card Cardbus Controller working ?

dragonheart[3]: g - 20:56:04 ~ > lspci
02:0f.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4451 PC card Cardbus Controller
02:0f.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4451 PC card Cardbus Controller

Disable all of PCMCIA in the config. Get pcmcia-* stuff, change
manually in the directory, configure and compile.
The only option you need to activate is the Wireless-LAN option
(nothing else in this menu). Otherwise you won't be able to get WLAN
working.

> I can not completely shutdown the laptop with the 'halt' command. I put
> CONFIG_APM=y
> CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y
> in my kernel.

Did you disable APIC?
Sometimes, when you try to use ALSA and IrDA _and_ PCMCIA, suspend
causes trouble.

> I try to test ACPI but it crash the laptop when I plug or unplug the AC
> power.

Unfortunately the Dell's (doesn't matter if Latitude or Inspiron
series) don't want ACPI - though the BIOS seems to support it.
But I wasn't able to get this stuff work. - I asked Dell about this.
As you can imagine, they "...don't support Linux."
Anyway - Dell promised a Bios-Upgrade within the next two weeks. I'm
curious about it...

> When I am using the battery and if I do not touch the laptop during 10
> minutes, it crashes alone... I deactivated everything on the bios power
> management, and put the same options that for AC power.

Look at your batteries. Dell changed mine - the revision A04 seems to
have problems. Perhaps a Bios-Upgrade could help you.

> Do you think is it a good idea to use ext3 on a laptop that crashes a lot ?
> I need to use some kernel patches but it is very unstable.

It definitely is!
As my i8100 now runs more then six hours (with two accus) - I sometimes
forget to plug in the power-supply. ;)

> Is somebody use the same laptop and have any problems ?

As I already mentioned, try a Bios-Upgrade.
--
Regards, GR                      | GnuPG-key on keyservers available
Muck, Dickbaer, Nane...          | or mail -s 'get gpg-key'