Re: mount floppy

Tuukka Toivonen wrote:

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Tom Allison wrote:

/dev/fd0                /floppy             auto    noauto,user    0 0

The "user" flag is important: it tells that an ordinary user can mount
the filesystem (I don't know if it is possible to specify that any
user in a specific group, such as "floppy" can only mount the floppy,
probably you would need to write a wrapper script with sudo for that).

You can use "gid=nnnn" and an appropriate umask (where nnnn is the group ID of floppy) to make it writable by members of floppy, but I don't think you can prevent anybody mounting it. It's either mountable by root only or by everyone.

I would like to get autmount running, but not at this rate...

But this has nothing to do with automount. iirc, you don't even need an fstab entry to have automount work. certainly my fstab configuration and my automount configuration are quite different for my floppy device.

I myself use automount for accessing cdrom and sometimes floppy
(usually mtools) and I'm quite statisfied with it.
You can do it by putting following lines into following files:

/etc/auto.master:
/auto	/etc/auto.misc	--timeout 5

/etc/auto.misc:
floppy		-fstype=vfat,defaults,user,noauto,exec,nodev,nosuid,ro,unhide       :/dev/fd0

And then creating an empty directory /auto. I personally have a
symbolic link /mnt/floppy -> /auto/floppy so that I can cd to /mnt/floppy
and use Tab for completion on command line, or just clicking the link with
some GUI program.

I do the same. The one problem I have with automount is that I've never come across a program that truly releases the device so I need to use root to explicitly unmount it when I'm installing something from multiple CDs (either that or what for the time out period, after which it's implicitly unmounted by root).

Then you have just to start automount, "/etc/rc.d/automount start"
in Debian, I think.

/etc/init.d/automount start
--
derek