pcmcia-network-card (can't reach network)

Hi,
my wireless card still isn't doing it so I'm trying to use my Xircom card now (creditcard ce3-100)
it's being recognized correctly but the network isn't configured/reached at all although all the parameters in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts are right.
ifconfig says the same... there is a loop device but the eth0 device has no inet-addr mask etc...
Anybody knows whats wrong here? I get more and more the feeling something fundamentally might be missing.
I have the 2.4.16 kernel with the right module and the cardmgr recompiled for this kernel running here on my debian-potato...
regards,
michael