Re: Which config tool?

From: "Daniel Andor" <Daniel.Andor@physics.org>

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:21:12PM +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> > I've found divine, intuitively and laptop-netconf which all appear to do
> > roughly the same thing...  what is best?  The laptop will be running in
> > a variety of configurations:
> >
> > * home, connected to LAN (and net via IP NAT on my desktop)
> > * work, connected to LAN (etc)
> > * somewhere else
> >
> > Of course for these settings I need different IP addresses for
> > DNS/proxy/SMTP servers etc.  What tool is best suited for my needs?
>
> add laptop-net (distint from laptop-netconf) which I find quite handy.
> Since I use my X21 with both LAN and WLAN, I only want to configure my
> LAN card when I've plugged the cable in.  laptop-net detects the
> link-beat and can configure your interface.

I like the look of laptop-net, though my current NIC is too old to support
MII & link-beat detection, but as near as I can tell laptop-net needs to be
used in conjunction with on e of the methods Ross mentioned because it
doesn't do ARP lookups - you have to _tell_ it what scheme to use.  I'm
planning to use guessnet, not because it's intrinsicly better than any of
the others but because it returns a scheme name, so I can use:
   /etc/init.d/laptop-net scheme `guessnet`
--
derek