Re: Why Linux on a Laptop?

Just my 2p..

I use Linux on my laptop for many reasons, but primarily because it
supports what I do. I know from experience that trying to run Apache,
PHP, and MySQL/PostgreSQL on Windows is a frustrating (not to mention
slow) experience.

My particular laptop (Toshiba Satellite 4030) is completely supported
out of the box by Linux, including the MPEG accelerated graphics
(mmmm... VCD)

So, I get my nice desktop/office (KDE2, et al), my web development
(apache, etc) my C/C++ programming stuff (GCC, KDevelop, KStudio, GTK+
the list goes on)

All in one place, which means that I can lug my laptop to the LUG, my
mates house, the pub, or whereever I need to be, and have my entire
computing environment, complete and working, ANYWHERE I happen to be.

As it happens, I have a Visor Deluxe connected via USB to my laptop, so
for PDA stuff I use that and sync it when I get the ol' notebook out.

So, in short, my laptop is far more than an overgrown PDA. It's my
desktop, development, server, web-terminal, email reading machine. And
best of all, it all works. First time, everytime. Oh, and bringing it
out of sleep by KLaptop is lovely too :)

Craig