Re: Why Linux on a Laptop?

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 03:39:20AM -0500, Alec wrote:

> I'm wondering what everyone's motivation is for using Linux on a laptop
> instead of Cygwin + Windows.

Because Windows doesn't have any of the utilities I need.  I use vi, C, php,
postgres, apache, make, bash, X, latex, mpg123 (etc. etc. etc.) for my day to
day work and none of them are available on Windows.

> The way I see it, a laptop is basically a giant PDA.

That depends on the way you look at.  I don't think of writing a 1000 line C
program on a PDA.

> People usually use them for typing down stuff during classes, seminars,
> conferences, in the library,

Typing down stuff is rather OS independent.

> for presenting (powerpoint) material,

I do much more impressive presentations with display, animate, mpeg_play and
bash.

> or for keeping all their mail and personal archives in one place, etc.

Agreed.  Again the same question.  Where does the OS come in?

> Laptops don't get used much as servers or development workstations, are they?

Well, when it comes to develope web servers, I like to run a "miniature" copy
on my Laptop.

And of course, the mind is very relaxing when doing development on a very
comfortable position with a laptop.

Cheers,

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.16)

Believe everything you hear about the world; nothing is too impossibly bad.
		-- Honor'e de Balzac